Dutch House, Holmwood
This is the house, designed by Edwin Lutyens, that the Pethick-Lawrence's bought in Holmwood, Dorking. In the hallway is the inscription added by the Pethick-Lawrences 'Oh Liberty Thou Choicest Treasure'. Many suffragettes would come here to recuperate from being force-fed in Holloway Prison. The couple had to leave the house in 1912 when made bankrupt and ejected from the WSPU. The house today stands on the very busy A24 to Dorking and was used as a cottage hospital during the first world war. The Sundial House lies a few 100 metres due North and was built for the Espérance girls by Arnold Dunbar-Smith.
Credit: Lucy Neal